North Dakota Runner
Top 11 ND Performances of 2002
Criteria is either a North Dakota runner, including college runners originally from other States. Event may be out-of-State.
10) Dickinson High School Girls ranked #3 in the Nation in High School Cross-Country by DyeStat.com.
9) Janelle Olson, Bismarck runs 28:10 5 mile at Breast Cancer Awareness run, places 2nd at Hullaballoo run in Moorhead with a 36:42 10K.
8) Darik Hoff , Bismarck Century running for NDSU, wins the NCC individual cross-country title.
7) Jessie Palczewski , Reeder running for South Dakota State University, places 3rd at NAIA Nationals, first American.
6) Carly Emil defends her 800, 1600 and 3200 meter titles at State. Currently number 2 runner as a true Freshman at the University of Minnesota.
5A Joe Mahoney, Bismarck native living in Madison, WI, becomes the second North Dakota runner ever to break 2:20 in the marathon. Joe ran 2:19:37 at the Chicago Marathon. The old record was Mike Just of Hazen with a 2:19:58. Tom Stambaugh has ran the fastest in-state marathon with a 2:25 at the Grand Forks Marathon.
5) Minot State University wins the NAIA national title after being ranked first most of the season.
4) Fargo South Cross Country Team scores a perfect 15 points at EDC championship and follows up with a perfect 15 at the next meet. They then won State handily.
3) Amber Klein; Hazen running for Adams State (CO) wins D2 National Cross Country individual title.
2) Andrew Carlson; Fargo South running for University of Minnesota; Won Midwest Region Cross Country Division 1 Championship, running a 29:56 10K, the fastest Gopher since 1984.
1) Brad Tighe, Minot State University; 13:49 5000 @ Penn Relays, twin brother Mike ran 14:14 @ Penn Relays.
There are others. I could fill a page with honorable mentions...Melanie Carvell at international Triathlon events, Marnie Walth, the Anderson sisters, Kendra Lystad's unexpected State x-c individual title, Steve Sundell's excellent D1 season, etc... If you think that I missed a big one, let me know!